The spine surgeon said he wants me to try an Epidural injection. They basically inject some potent pain killers and steroids right into the injured nerve. I'm guessing it's going to be a lot of fun. The goal is to soak the injured nerve with the anti-inflammatory steroid allowing the nerve to recover and the pain to subside. Don't I sound doctorly? As for the disc that's floating around in there, I'm not exactly sure what happens to that. And what about the scar tissue from my previous surgery, did we ask about that? I always think of all the questions to ask when I get home. Grrrr. I guess I don't really care what happens to the pesky disc or the scar tissue as long as the pain goes away.
I
REALLY want this to work. Really.
In the meantime, Keekees keeps me happy with these....

She delivers AT LEAST 10 "letters" to my room each day. Sometimes she walks in asking if there's anyone in the room who has a hurt back. (I have to raise my hand) Sometimes she asks for the sick person in the room. Sometimes she tells me she found something in the mailbox for me. But ALWAYS, she stands smiling as I open, admire and gush over whatever is inside the tiny envelope.
6 comments:
Laura did you have an MRI? and if so what were the final impressions from the radiologists. I don't mean to be a downer but while epidurals are great and everything, they are temporary so I don't understand... do you have a strain or something to the nerve that is temporary or did the MRI show a herniated disc?
Sorry to just throw that out there... but being numb at that juncture will sure be nice!!!!!!
I don't really get it either. I do have a herniated disc. But they say sometimes they heal on their own. I don't really understand how but they do. This is just to relieve the pain in hopes it will heal on its own I guess. Also, these kind of epidurals can last much longer than the kind you get when you have a baby.
Ok lala I don't usually tell but I have been seeing an anesthesiologist at a spinal clinic for about 3 years. The epidurals usually do me for about a month, and the pain injections about a week.
I have only had the pain medications injected. Never steroids because I have weak bones but that is how it has worked for me if it helps you at all.
good luck... I am just nervous for you because since it has happened before I don't understand why he thinks it will heal on its own this time, but I am not trying to be a pessimist, since I haven't seen the picture.
I am so sorry this has happened to you. It totally isn't fair and you don't deserve it!!!
Hey Fat Head...when you are better I think we should BOTH be exotic dancers! I hear its pretty lucrative. :) (BTW, child support wont come back until Mr. Moron gets a job. I have Child Support Enforcement trailing his every move, though.)
I really hope it works too!!!
So so cute about Kirra. What a sweet girl. Love you guys.
Kirra is a little angel. What a sweetheart. I hope the shot works for you as well Laura! That is what I will pray for for you! You have amazing courage and strength and your example is touching us all. Thank you, Laura!
Amy Laws
Post a Comment