Friday, May 22, 2009

Tender Mercies

One of the reasons I love being a Mormon beyond the most obvious one that it's the greatest source of happiness in my life next to my family, is that you have a built-in network of support, wherever you are and whenever you need it. Usually the help comes before you can even ask for it. It's like having a big huge awesome family in addition to your real big huge awesome family!

Last week, I hurt my back somehow. It started out as an annoyance and worsened daily until I was flat on my back in a lot of pain. Every morning that I woke up and realized it was worse and I was more unable to move was followed by a good cry into my pillow and then my morning prayer pleading with Heavenly Father to make the pain go away. I'm a Mom for crying out loud. I don't have time for this. Sure having to stay in bed for a day or two....sign me up! But for days on end? Just shoot me.

Trials stink. I think we can all agree on that. But I'm learning that some pretty cool things can come out of having to endure trials. Lucky for me, I have lots of time to lay around and ponder on the tender mercies mixed in with what feels like a huge trial in my life right now. I've been writing them down so I won't forget and so that I can read over them when I'm feeling sorry for myself.

Here are a few of the tender mercies I've experienced over the last ten days while staring at my ceiling.

  • One friend brought over a supply of movies and reading materials and made time to just sit and listen to my feelings of helplessness over the current situation. I told her I wished there was a way I could rig up my laptop comfortably above me so that I could use it while laying flat which is the only way I'm comfortable. I was picturing it somehow hanging from ropes tied to my bed posts. I just wanted some access to the outside world and felt that I could at least do some things dealing with my church job and other obligations if I could at least use my computer. She went home and designed and built (in about 2 hours) a desk that sits across my lap which I can comfortably type on while laying completely flat in bed. SERIOUSLY, how cool is that?!? I have now been able to help research items for church girl's camp, send e-mails, read inspiring talks and stay in touch with friends and my cute church girls in spite of my nearly complete immobility. Another reminder that while God doesn't always answer my prayers exactly as I want Him to, WHEN I want Him to, He still hears me and is taking care of me.






                    • On a particularly hard, frustrating morning, I logged onto my e-mail to find an e-mail from a friend I hadn't talked to in awhile. She said she'd just "had the feeling" for days that she should call and see if I wanted to have lunch. Well, we did. She delivered it to me in bed and we sat and chatted for an hour. It was just what I needed that day, evidence of God's hand in my life.
                      • A husband who could be getting cranky that he's having to do his work and MY work but does it with a smile always and with an encouraging word and a daily pep talk. A man who isn't getting enough sleep because he lays awake trying to help ME sleep through the long, uncomfortable nights. And a man wise enough to ask me what Christlike attributes I'm learning when I'm crying for comfort and understanding. If Jeff isn't evidence of God's hand in my life, I don't know what is.
                      • How many people, without making a single phone call or request for help could have friends bringing in dinner several nights a week, taking and picking up kids, buying and delivering groceries, delivering produce that is cut up and bagged, doing laundry, laying in bed and watching a movie with me, helping me be o.k. with needing help, calling just when I really need to talk, taking Keeks on outings and meeting every need sometimes before I even realize there's a need? How amazing is it to belong to a church whose people serve constantly and willingly without any thought about repayment ever? I go to church with and have the privilege of being friends with a group of people who are real, living, walking, breathing reminders of the hand of God in my life.

                  Elder Robert D. Hales said, “Each of us must go through certain experiences to become more like our Savior. In the school of mortality, the tutor is often pain and tribulation, but the lessons are meant to refine and bless us and strengthen us, not to destroy us” (Ensign, May 2003, 17).

                  A quote from President Spencer W. Kimball comes to mind when I think of the hand of God in my life over the past 10 days. It says: "The Lord does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs."

                  Thanks to all of you who have been instruments in His hands in watching over me.

                  5 comments:

                  fence.neighbor.curmudgeon@gmail.com said...

                  we are so glad you are made spiritually well by your sisters and brothers in Christ in your ward. we love to read your rare, poignant, and inspiring thoughts. we are praying for you daily too.

                  Anonymous said...

                  Darn it, Fat Head. I am so sorry your dumb back is giving you problems. I hate being this far away...leaves me wondering what I can do to help you out...but you WOULD tell me if there is anything I could do to help out, right??? Please. Feel better.

                  Anonymous said...

                  Hey, BTW...I'm sorry to have to report that I am changed woman. I have been doing a lot of soul searching lately...and I have come to the realization that I am a WEREWOLF LOVER more than a vampire lover. I know, it shocked me, too. I thought I knew myself... :)

                  LaLa said...

                  Fence.neighbor.curmudgeon, I can't think of who you are at this moment but THANK YOU for your prayers. I need them.

                  Fitz, Dumb back is right! After all I've done to take care of it all theses years since my surgery, it has betrayed me once again!
                  And it's a good thing I'm on pain meds or I don't know how I would handle the news that you've gone over to Jacob's side. How could you do it?!?

                  Anonymous said...

                  BTW, bottom line is this: Jacob is very manly...NEED I SAY MORE??? I'm so bored right now - there's no work...if I had access to your meds right now I'd be very tempted to start experimenting. :)