Thursday, May 28, 2009

My two big outings.

I've been out of the house twice in 11 days now. And since I'm laying here unable to get comfortable, I thought I would distract myself by telling you about them. Poor you if you have nothing better to do then read about my exciting adventures right now.

My first and most exciting outing was to the 'open air' MRI. We reclined the car seat all the way back, placed some pillows strategically, stretched my legs up onto the dash board and with only a few moans, were on our way. Laying on a hard metal table being told not to move for 40 minutes is rough but at least I didn't have to be in the claustrophobic little tube. 'Open Air' is the only way to go. After 30 minutes of lying in a horrendously uncomfortable position, the technician came in to shoot dye into my veins and do some more x-rays. By this point, I was in a lot of pain and was trying to be brave but tears were trickling down my face and annoyingly into my ears. Yup, when you're laying completely flat, that's where the tears end up, in your ears. It's annoying. Loverboy stood holding my hand and then leaned over, kissed me on the cheek and sang into my ear the James Taylor song that was playing in the room except he was changing the words to fit with what was happening at that moment. I couldn't laugh but it was still sweet and as always left me wondering what I would do without him. (By-the-way, the results of the MRI show a herniated disc. L5 I think. The same one I herniated 10 years ago and had surgery to repair. Who knew you could herniate a disc twice? After a week and a half on steroids, the pain hasn't subsided and I fear I may soon start growing hair on my chest or developing large, bulging muscles. So, it's on to plan B....going to see a specialist on Friday...)

Memorial Day my family headed off to the church BBQ/swim party and I prepared to endure another day in bed, alone. The day was o.k. and when they all got home later and decided to head to the end of the culdesac for a neighborhood party that had just begun, I decided to be adventuresome and join them. I reasoned the fresh air would do me some good. I didn't want to make a scene so loverboy drove me four houses down (not conspicuous at all) and tossed a blanket under a shady tree and deposited me there and then ventured out to mingle.

Every now and then I'd see him talking to someone and point over in my direction, no doubt explaining that that pathetic heap over there was his wife. Later, out of pity I'm sure, one lady he'd been talking to came over and sat down and talked to me for awhile. Out of probably 75 people at the little street party, she was the only one who came over to visit me. Unless of course you count the 3 dogs who tried to come and pee on me. Apparantly I'd planted myself on the local neighborhood pee spot.

The first little guy came and sniffed me and then turned around and started backing in towards me. I don't know much about dogs but I knew that wasn't a good sign. I tried to push him away hoping his owner wasn't looking on at the crazy lady laying on the grass abusing his dog. The second smelly little thing followed a few minutes later, peed a mere inch from my blanket before I even knew what was happening, then turned and started to kick up grass on me (grass with pee on it I'm sure) as if trying to cover the evidence. After doggie number 3 showed up and lifted his leg, I had had it and called for my coach to take me home....back to the shelter of my cozy little room and my soft bed...with no one trying to pee on me.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fat head, I hate to laugh at your situation, but I totally have the mental picture going on with you trying to push away dogs with full bladders! I'm glad you have a good husband to treat you well, though. You certainly deserve him. :)

Kristofer said...

i am seriously laughing so hard right now . . . i'm sorry but knowing your relationship with dogs, this story is just too much! i am so so sorry you are hurting and in pain from your back! i can't imagine! i love that you are blogging more now that you have a few extra minutes . . . it always fun to read about you and your family! love ya . . . feel better!

Anonymous said...

Good grief, I almost forgot bout all those steroids, you gotta let us know when the full beard appears and the big adam's apple start appearing. Hey, are moobs (man-boobs) caused by steroids??? Hee, hee, hee! I dont think the steroids will do anything but cause some weight gain, but once you are off them the weight should disappear. Still, the thought of you with a go-tee and a big adam's apple is almost as good as you fighting off dogs that are doing the pee-pee dance. :)

LaLa said...

Glad all you doggie lovers are having a good laugh at my expense!

And no, moobs have so far not appeared. I should be so lucky. I'll probably get the go-tee, lucky me.

acte gratuit said...

I'm laughing WITH you! Really, I am...!

Seriously though, I feel your pain. Dog's are gross enough without having to sit in their line of fire!!!

James said...

Ok, Laura, that was soooooo funny. I too hate to laugh at your situation, but I can't help it. And the fact that you just love dogs makes it so funny.
I love you and hope you are healed soon. You're attitude is amazing.

The Bess Life said...

I'm sorry Laura, but that was one of the funniest things I have ever read. I can't believe that only one lady came over to talk to you. I'm sure others just didn't want to bother you, but it totally makes me want to go out of my way to talk to anyone in a similar situation in the future. The part about the dogs is just too much- so hilarious although I'm sure you were not laughing at the time. You're awesome and like Leah said you have a great attitude through all this. I hope your appointment went well today. Take care. Hugs.

appleless indian said...

maybe it is just your neighborhood, but be grateful that at least one male owner of those dogs didn't come by the same tree. men and dogs pee at the same post. ....................
or so i've heard. ..................
we are sorry about your pain and lonliness on your back for hours per day. we are praying for you daily.