Sunday, May 31, 2009

The cure for "June Gloom"

It's June and we're experiencing our usual "June Gloom" here in California. It's been cool and overcast and has even drizzled the last couple of nights. These are the kind of days I love having soup. I found this recipe for chicken tortellini soup and then changed it to suit our tastes and it's awesome. If I could, I would make this for dinner tonight. But since I can't, I think YOU should! Did I mention its really easy too??

CHICKEN TORTELLINI SOUP

7-3/4 cups boiling chicken broth
1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, cut up
1 (10 oz) pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed (I chop fresh spinach)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 (9 oz) package refrigerated cheese tortellini
2-1/2 cups cubed cooked chiken

In a dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the broth, tomatoes, spinach, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes; add the tortellini and chicken. Cook for 5 minutes or until tortellini is heated through.

Now if you REALLY want to impress your family, make these homemade breadsticks too. They'll be so impressed, they will praise your name. It's true, I've experienced it. Even though it's not my recipe, these are now referred to in my house as "Mommy's famous breadsticks". They're so darn good. Make them quick and you'll score some major brownie points with your family.

MOMMY'S FAMOUS BREADSTICKS

1 Tbls. yeast
1-1/2 cup warm water
2 Tbls. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups flour
3-4 Tbls. butter
onion salt, garlic salt, Italian seasoning, Parmesan cheese

Dissolve yeast in warm water then add sugar, salt and flour. Mix well. Let dough rise for 10 minutes covered. Melt butter and spread 1/2 of the butter on a cookie sheet. Roll out the dough onto the butter greased sheet. Spread the remaining melted butter on top. Sprinkle garlic salt, onion salt, Italian seasoning, and Parmesean cheese on top. Cut into breadsticks with a pizza cutter. Let rise for another 15 minutes. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. YUMMY!!

4 comments:

alfalfa harvest in june said...

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=e419fb40e21cef00VgnVCM1000001f5e340aRCRD

i hope this link is active when it appears in comments.
acknowledgement and gratitude, blessing big and small

Catherine said...

Hi!! I'm so glad I found your blog from Christina's - but I'm so NOT glad you are in pain! That's wonderful you have so many friends and ward members helping you out. I just can't even imagine how much that would STINK to be flat on my back. Wow, it reminds me of stories my mom has told of your mom in the same situation - with back problems. Sure hope you'll be back on your feet soon!

Catherine, your cuz who's just up the road a ways..

LaLa said...

Catherine,

So glad you found us! It was fun catching up on your blog too.

It's funny because I was just thinking about my Mom's days with back problems. I have pictures of her laying on her back on a blanket at one of my birthday parties as a little girl and I think your Mom was there helping her give my birthday party. I have a whole new appreciation for what she went through and how hard it is being a Mommy when you're flat on your back. But we get through it and hopefully come out stronger right??

sixsmilesaday said...

Thanks for the recipes!! I am going to try them both tonight! Hopes and prayers that you are noticing a bit more relief of pain!!?
Great to talk to you the other day!
Take Care!!