Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Singing Myself to Sleep

Loverboy is in Brazil on business. Of course he'll be back by the time I actually post this entry. Like I'm really going to inform the whole free world that my husband is out of town WHILE he is out of town. Ha. I'm already completely skiddish, hearing too many little sounds at night to sleep peacefully and singing myself to sleep so that my mind can't wander to every horror movie I've ever seen. You know the ones where she's home alone, hears a sound and picks up a bat to walk down the creaky stairs into the dark while asking, "who's there?", "is anybody there?" What does she expect the intruder (there always IS one) to say, "Oh ya, it's just me, the boogie man. I'm here with my axe and chain saw. Could you come over here please so I can work my magic on you?!?"

See why I have to sing myself to sleep??

So ya, he's gone and I miss him. I rode 10-1/2 miles on the exercise bike this morning trying to release the tension from a fitful night's rest and then I had to do it. I've resisted up until now but come on, it's been 3 days. I couldn't help myself, I walked into his closet so I could smell him. It took me longer than normal to find a shirt with his scent. Most smelled of fabric softener or had no scent at all. I focused on the ones that looked like they've been worn once and accidentally sniffed the armpit of one. Eww, that was not the scent I was looking for. Then I found it, the shirt with his scent. Mmmmm. I buried it in my face and just inhaled. I love his scent.

I'm not even going to go into the dilemma of having no warm legs to thaw my frozen toes on in bed every night. Two more days and two long nights....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laura,
What a fun entry. You do have a gift. I can just picture sniffing your way through the closet. Finding the wrong shirt could take the romance out of the whole excerise. Glad you hung in there for the happy ending.
DSC

Dave and Christine Crook said...

Hi Laura
your observation about unlikely questions for intruders reminded me of filling out our visa waiver application for US immigration for this summer. Some of the questions were great: Are you now, or have you ever been, a member of a terrorist organisation? Do you plan on hiding a nuclear bomb in your hand luggage? that sort of daft stuff.
Can you imagine some really thick Jihadist hitting the yes button on reflex then letting out an Arabic curse as he realises he's just blown his chances of blowing up America?
Can't wait to come and see you guys in the summer, and I'll be careful not to leave any dirty laundry lying around if we head to the beach for the day or such.

Anonymous said...

I guess shirt sniffing would be a good way to get your mind off the boogey man lurking in the bushes somewhere...making chocolate chip cookies sounds a little more fun to me, though, Fat Head.

Anonymous said...

Missing your blog entries...hope all is well. :)