Seasonal affective disorder (SAD), also known as winter depression or winter blues, is a mood disorder in which people who have normal mental health throughout most of the year experience depressive symptoms in the winter repeatedly, year after year. The US National Library of Medicine notes that "some people experience a serious mood change when the seasons change. They may sleep too much, have little energy, and crave sweets and starchy foods. They may also feel depressed. Though symptoms can be severe, they usually clear up.
In order to avoid this scary disorder, here are some things our family is doing to get through these long California winters.
Kay Kay finds dancing eases feelings of depression.
Ash stays on her toes and lets the Doctor know if she's feeling anything unusual.
A little exercise seems to help our girls keep their S.A.D. (Seasonal Affective Disorder) in check.
Dani finds that letting loose and expressing her feelings helps too.
I haven't conducted a scientific study, but I'm pretty sure all of these things are helping my family cope with the winter blues.
Oh, and holding hands and kissing works wonders! Did you know it's been shown to lower the level of a chemical in the body known to cause stress and depression?
Here's to more winter nights.


8 comments:
What a beautiful post....
You're a cruel, cruel person.
It snowed again today. I'm going back to bed with a bag of chocolate chips!
I'm just trying to tempt you to come visit Emmy!!
I loved it!! We are totally coming Lala!!! We leave on April 15th (I think) See you soon!!!!!
I love this post and love the pix!!!
This post was entirely too cute! I'm proud of how well your handling the long winter so bravely:-)
Claudia
This is a lot of nonsense. In Scotland winter normally lasts from August 3rd till late in the last week of July (in a good year), so if you're right the Scots' master race would have a reputation for being stunted, pale, grumpy, lazy, spotty, junk-eating depressives (although I do concede girls here who wear fake tan do bear an uncanny resemblance to Oompah Loompahs).
On the upside, the word of wisdom says meat is only to be used in times of cold and winter, so we're off for a BBQ. Now, where's my scarf?
I LOVE this post, Laura! I love the last picture. Our winter nights aren't too bad, huh?
Post a Comment