Sunday, October 19, 2008

Yesterday, in the space of 90 minutes, while standing at an intersection holding "Yes on Prop 8" signs with friends and other supporters, I was called:
  • A bigot
  • A christian wacko
  • A hate monger
  • Stupid
  • Hateful
  • Uneducated
  • Ignorant

Oh, and I was also given the "one finger salute" a few too many times.




It's interesting to me that these people who were calling me hateful as I stood there smiling and waving, were the ones acting so incredibly hateful, mean, and just plain rude. But I'm brushing off the bad dreams I had last night about my home being vandalized and people yelling at me and trying to hold onto the images of the MANY (probably 80%) honks of support, waves, thumbs up and personal thanks we got for having the courage to do what we were doing.

Sadly, although we live in a free country, there are many who don't think we are entitled to an opinion if it is different from their own. Perhaps if all our signs weren't stolen or vandalized within hours of being displayed, we wouldn't have to be standing on street corners to have our voices heard. I don't understand all the hate that comes from a difference of opinion. Wouldn't it be nice if we could RESPECTFULLY 'agree to disagree'? Just askin'...

This morning I read a quote from President Gordon B. Hinckley that seems to apply.

"Draw comfort from the words of the Master....when we are spoken of by those whose lives are torn with hate. They lash out at one thing and another. They manufacture and spread vile falsehoods behind which there is not a shred of truth. There is nothing new about this. But we shall go forward, returning good for evil, being helpful and kind and generous."


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

One question for you...did anyone call you FAT HEAD??? :)

LaLa said...

Kelli, you just made me laugh out loud. NO, nobody called me a fat head but I would have preferred that. I'm going to e-mail you right now!

Anonymous said...

Laura, I left a comment for you on the last blog about your saving for a camera. Check it out. Do you go back and look thru old blogs for comments? I am still very new at this. Richard and I held signs on Saturday too. I interpreted every honk as a positive and any digit as a thumbs up! Some have said they get eggs thrown at them and another commented that Joseph Smith was tarred and feathered, I guess we can handle a few eggs. Love, Aunt Sue

LaLa said...

You're right Aunt Sue! I hope neither one of us gets eggs thrown at us but that would definitely beat being tarred and feathered!

Oh, and I just read your first comment. Thanks. Love your blog!

crimendelsiglo said...

Way to go, LALA and family. We're so proud of you! We're doing a little campaigning via email too, and had one very bad response. Love you lots, Mom and John

The Bess Life said...

This is AWESOME! I was out Saturday morning on the Tamarack freeway overpass and got LOTS of big honks. Of course when you're that high up you can't really see if there are any gestures that follow the honks so we just assumed they were all a thumbs up! It was fun and felt good to let my voice be heard. I'm going again tonight with a group of girlfriends. Good idea to take some pictures. Hope you're all having a fun day!! Love ya, Beka.

LaDawn Black Hall said...

Hey, Cousin! Your blog is great! I wanted to let you see my thoughts on the Prop 8 thing. I'm lucky enough to have a monthly column in our local paper. This is what was published last Sunday (see http://dawniebee.freeblogit.com/2008/07/22/a-spanish-proverb-says-the-belly-rules-the-mind-but-does-it/). My email address on the tagline was misprinted though, so I didn't get any responses. Don't know whether to be disappointed or relieved about that. Good on ya for getting out there with your signs. I look forward to keeping up with you on your blog. Mine is not so much a blog as a bcolumn, as I've so far only used it to showcase my column writing to my "fans" outside of Chico (all 4 of them). Enjoy those girls! LaDawn

Brandoneous said...

Go Lala! Well done! Keep up the good work all of you.