Friday, October 10, 2008

It's my blog and I'll rant if I want to.

Wait.....why are we voting on this again?? Oh yeah, because 4 unelected judges decided THEY knew better than 61% of California voters!
Remember Prop 22 in 2000... when 61% of us passed a proposition stating that marriage should be between a man and a woman? Well, here we are doing it again. This time if we can pass it, it will amend the California Constitution and NO ONE can change it.

Why do I support a YES vote on Prop 8? Because I believe:

"The Family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity".

While death and divorce may prevent it in too many cases, the ideal situation for children is to be raised by a married mother and father. Prop 8 will protect my kids from being taught in public school that same-sex marriage is the same as traditional marriage. It's not the same. New institutions need new names. Marriage is between a man and a woman...and if you're really lucky, it's with a studly man like mine!

We in California do not want to be dealing with the same things that are occurring in Massachusetts - religious based adoption agencies having to close their doors in order to prevent being forced to conduct gay adoptions (Catholic Charities in Massachusetts) and my children being taught in public schools that a prince can marry a prince (1st graders in Massachusetts are being taught this). California already affords all of the legal rights of marriage through the Domestic Partnership Act. This is not about legal rights and equality. Same sex couples already have equality. This is about preserving a natural institution that has served society for thousands of years. It is not bigotry - it is biology. This is not an anti-gay issue. I know, respect and love many gay people. We can love someone while still maintaining and advocating our standards and beliefs. I believe in marriage. I believe it's sacred. I believe marriage should remain between a man and a woman.


All four Presidential candidates also support marriage between one man and one woman.

5 comments:

FOX said...

We already posted about this on our blog.

My Dad lives in Ontario, Ca also and he has been going door to door with fliers from his church (non-lds).

Wish I was there to do more!! Especially since it snowed on our activity today and all the kids started to cry.

Anonymous said...

Well said! We will pray that it passes too! I make my voice heard on my blog a lot, and hopefully my cali friends will vote yes for this. So important! I loved the prayer post too - so cute. My blog has all my siblings blogs but Katie's. So check it out. Hope all is well! So happy to keep in touch!!

Anonymous said...

Laura, great new blog! I espcially like this post about prop 8 I totally agree with all you points. The video is great too. Good to know this isn't one party or the other. They both agree. Let's make this happen! Yes on 8.R.P.

Anonymous said...

I'm a teacher of K-2 grade. How can I teach such a lifestyle to these little children. Yes on 8!
K. Humberstone

The Bess Life said...

Just this last Friday 18 1st graders traveled to San Francisco City Hall to witness their teacher marry her lesbian partner. It was a school sponsored field trip and when asked about it, a representative said it was "a teachable moment." This is happening right now!! Let's not forget that we already voted on this issue in 2000, but just this past May, 4 out of 7 activist judges ignored the vote of the people and decided to impose their personal beliefs on the entire state. On November 4th we all have the opportunity to go the polls and undo this abuse of power. Let's write it into our state's constitution (just as 30 or so states have already done) and once and for all protect traditional marriage- the foundation of our society! A key point to remember is that the Federal Government does NOT recognize same sex marriages. I will vote YES on 8.
Beka Bess