Sunday, March 20, 2011

Cold Feet and Japan

It's raining tonight. O.K., that would be an understatement. It's actually pouring. As I was walking by the back door, I noticed the water was getting too close to the bottom of the sliding glass door. With the hubby nowhere to be found, I ran and grabbed a flash light to get a closer look. Sure enough, the drain was covered with leaves and wasn't draining properly. The water was getting dangerously close to the bottom of the door and to my wood floors. I grabbed a broom, rolled up my pajamas and stepped out into cold water up to my ankles to clear the drain. I was only out there for about 2 minutes.

When I came in, my feet were red and numb from being in the cold water. I slipped them into my warm slippers, rolled down my clean, soft pajamas and suddenly thought about the people in Japan. I wondered how many are cold and miserable tonight. How many have lost all their wordly possessions...or worse, any or all of their loved ones? How many trivial things have I worried about this week, while for them, life has been completely turned upside down? Then I sat down at my desk and wrote a check to the L.D.S. Church Humanitarian Aid Fund and marked it "for Japan". I heard today that the L.D.S. church has 15,000 blankets and hundreds of cook stoves on the way to Japan via China. I hope my money can send just a little more comfort and relief their way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Laura, Thank you for your last two posts. Both are important and hit home. Thank you also for being who you are and for thinking of those in Japan who are hurting, homeless and morning the loss of loved ones. We too are following your expamle. We love you.
DC