Sunday, September 20, 2009

'Shower Fresh Secret', We're Through and Back to School Feast and Fashion Show


Tomorrow it will have been TWO months since my last blog post. Pathetic, I know. But as it turns out, being a real person again, one who doesn't just lie in bed all day popping pills and having my food brought to me, is rather exhausting. I didn't get out of bed a moment too soon though. If one more person had come into my room and told me how nice they think it would be to lie in bed all day watching movies and reading.....well, I may have grabbed my cane and done some serious damage. Don't get me wrong, being in bed for four months, and in pain pretty much the entire time was a BARREL of fun!! I think you all should try it. It does wonders for that perspective we all try so hard to gain.

My mother taught me that the word "suck" was not a nice word and highly un-ladylike. I agree. If I heard one of my daughters say it, I would wash her mouth out with soap. Really yucky tasting soap. That is precisely why they will not be allowed to read this blog post and if they do (Ash), consider yourself warned.

I had a rather sucky summer. I'm sorry, it had to be said. It was, and I'm not taking it back. Sorry Mom. I guess I could say stinky but that just doesn't convey how I really feel about it. 'Hellish' would work but isn't that a little worse? Although it's just a place right? Hell, that is. A really horrible, terrible, awful place....which again seems applicable. Anyway, the other day I found this in my closet-
Looks pretty innocent huh?

pH balanced, shower fresh Secret.

Well, I went to put it on and a seriously almost...hmmm.....searching for a ladylike word for yakked. How about, I nearly became sick to my stomach. Yes, that sounds much better.

With just a small whiff of that deodorant, I was mentally back in bed, in misery and really needing a shower to boot.

I couldn't believe how sick the smell made me. It instantly transported me back to those miserable months in bed. So good-bye forever 'shower fresh Secret'. I now despise you and will never buy or wear you again! It's nothing you did, it just has to be over. No, we can't even be friends.

Well then, I have a lot to blog about. Even during my highly unpleasant 4 months in bed there were some highlights. Like a fun visit from some of the Powell cousins, my sis Karie, and Grandma Fae, an amazing back yard pedicure and five fabulous and laughter filled days with the Crooks. Post surgery there was our 17th anniversary, the first day of school, a family outing to see 'Wicked', a new baby born into the family (sorta), a surprise 40th birthday trip and Keeks' 5th birthday. I have my blogging work cut out for me.

But alas, I'm in the mood to blog about our annual Back to School Feast and Fashion Show. I know it'll be out of order. Deal with it.
Our china and 12 layer jello are a must for this occasion!
After much thought and consideration as to what our theme for the coming school year should be, we decided that what we were thinking of sounded a lot like the church youth theme for the year so we just went with that! Dani heard someone in church talking about the scripture "Be Thou an Example" and she leaned over excitedly and said, "Mommy, that's our theme!"

Pot roast, onion roasted potatoes and carrots. Yum.

Nana and Papa joined us for our feast which made it EXTRA special. After dinner, we were treated to chocolate cake and then a 'first day of school outfit' fashion show~

Keeks in a blue skirt, pink shirt and some rockin' hot pink high tops!

Dani knows how to work her black leggings, multi-colored shirt and red Converse!

Mak, ever the fashionista, in her colorful peasant top, jeans and cute gray vans!

Too bad I didn't save my skinny jeans from the 80's cuz they're back in! And boy does Ash look cute in them! Adorable blouse and shoes complete the outfit she found with Nana...and all of it on sale! Woo Hoo!

Four beautiful girls ready to start school!

After feast and fashion show came the best part, Father's Blessings. Daddy and Papa gave all the girls, including the oldest girl in the house (yes, me) a blessing to start out the new school year. They were absolutely beautiful and by the end, I was in tears. How grateful I am for the righteous men in my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the blog. Glad your getting some normal back. Loved the fashion show...wish we could get back down and see you and the family and maybe get some more yogurt:)

Claudia

Dave and Christine Crook said...

Hey Laura

I'm glad to see we got a mention on your 1st entry...it seems so long ago now. It's nice to hear you're feeling better after a long 4 months. We're still waiting for your travel blogs for the last few days in Italy; something else to add to the endless list of things to do! Talk to you soon, Christine x