Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Chocolate chips and my fifteen minute date

I have writer's block (so don't expect much) but I promised an update before I left for the hospital. That's pretty much the update....I'm going to the hospital....to have back surgery silly. I remember my back surgery from 10 years ago pretty well. It was quite miserable. I would probably chicken out except that everything hurts and I want it to stop hurting so I need to just get it over with. I will have been in bed for 8 weeks this Sunday. Enough is enough!

It's 11:24 p.m. and they told me I couldn't eat anything after midnight because of the anesthesia. That means I can't have breakfast which means I can't take my pain medication which means it's going to be a fun morning and drive to the hospital. My surgery isn't until 1:00 p.m. tomorrow. So tonight, to drown my sorrows, I'm going to eat chocolate chips until midnight. Not really. I mean about the sorrows, not the chocolate chips. I really am eating those until midnight. Yup, right now, at this very moment. One of my friends who knows me REALLY well brought me a bag the other day. Why mess with an expensive box of chocolates when I'm perfectly happy with a bag of chocolate chips right?

I guess it will serve me right if I get a bag of chocolate chips for my anniversary now.

Mi* and Di* (names withheld to protect my friends from being discovered and stolen by you because you want to have friends as unbelievably cool as mine) came over today and cleaned my room so it would be nice when I come home after surgery. Ahhh. It looks so nice. Things tend to pile up when you live in your bed. I've had to have all my files moved up to my room so I can pay the bills and lots of other things have accumulated too. Have you ever had anyone clean your room though?!? I'm not gonna lie, I was a little nervous they would find something embarrassing when they were crawling around pulling things out from under the bed. But alas, I got off pretty easy. The only incident was Keeks walking in with a tampon she had just unwrapped asking, "Mommy, what's this?" I told her to go ask Daddy. :)

And since we're speaking of Loverboy, guess what? I went on a date with him this week. A REAL date (sort of) somewhere besides our room. It only lasted for 15 minutes but it was pretty awesome nonetheless. We reclined the seat in the car, brought all my pillows and went out for Mexican food! I ordered from the car via cell phone (so I could lie down as long as possible) and then went into the restaurant after I received a call that the food was on it's way out. The waitress was a little confused and we just let her remain so. I sat for FIFTEEN whole minutes and ate my food. It hurt but was SO worth it!

Thanks to Mi*, I even had something cute to wear on my date. She showed up the other day with 10 sundresses she had purchased and told me I had to keep three and she would return the others (I know you wish she was your friend). She said there's no reason I can't look fabulous just because I lie in bed all day. She was right. I now lounge in my cute and comfy new dresses and I think I may even wear one on my date with Dr. Lee tomorrow. (Model's faces protected because they were makeup-less)

It's 11:59 p.m.. I put the chocolate chips away safely in my nightstand drawer and loverboy is softly snoring next to me. O.k., maybe not so softly but I don't want to embarrass him on my blog. But since I just did, I just have to tell you one funny thing. The other night I used my digital voice recorder to record his snoring because he never believes me when I tell him he snores. The next morning, I played it for him, he accused me of recording it off the internet, said there was no possible way that was him. Next time, I'll use the video camera! But come to think of it, hopefully my long nights of trying to entertain myself till 2 or 3 a.m. are almost over. He might just be off the hook. Night, night. Wish me luck.....

3 comments:

Catherine said...

I'll thinking about you today (sheesh, and Christina - you guys BOTH get to have fun today!) and remember you in prayer.

Love ya Laura!

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Surgery today??? You will be in our prayers big time! Lets hope this one sticks. :)

patience said...

:-)
not praying for a miracle, just a great big blessing of comfort. it will happen. love you