So it's been a long week. Even though the week I'm referring has only been two days so far. But week sounds better than, "it's been a long two days", don't you think?
Hubby is in China. Things never seem quite right when he's gone. To console myself, I bought myself a new two-pack of pens at Target today. I LOVE them. Paper Mate InkJoy 700 RT - 1.0 mm M. Do you think "InkJoy" is a corny name for a pen?!? I think not. They ARE pure joy to write with. I'm totally serious. It almost made my husband being in China ok. Almost.
So some days while I'm doing laundry, I listen to conference talks, Education Week talks, Podcasts or TV shows on Hulu. When my husband is out of town, I should probably stick to uplifting talks and Podcasts. Today while I folded, I watched one of those FBI shows (can't remember the name). It was about some guy who broke into people's homes after he cut the power and phone lines and killed the entire family. They finally caught him after he killed about five different families. Not the best show to watch while the hubby is out of town you say? Yes, I would agree.
After a morning of frightening laundry folding, I went to pick up the kids from school. Suddenly every scary movie I've ever seen starts replaying in my head. Like the one where the bad guy was hiding in the back of the lady's car as she pulled out of the garage unknowingly. Or the one where as she pulled into the garage, he slid under the garage door as it was closing. Or the true story from Oprah where while the wife is out gardening, a man enters her side (unlocked) door, kills her husband and waits for her to come in. He then rolls her up in a carpet (if I remember correctly), backs his car into the driveway and throws her in the trunk. I won't even tell you what happened after that.
So with all this running through my mind, I took the extra precaution of locking the door between the house and the garage so no boogie men could enter while I was picking the children up and taking them to piano. My paranoia turned out to be a pretty big bummer when 3 minutes later, I had to return for the piano bags I had forgotten and found myself locked out of the house. I brought the set of car keys that doesn't have a house key attached. Sigh.
Maybe there is a door unlocked? Fat chance!! Thanks to said paranoia, the house is locked up like Fort Knox. After trying all the doors, I found an unlocked window (which totally freaked me out but also made me happy as I had no idea how I would ever get in again). I removed the screen and crawled (very un-gracefully) in through the window, grabbed the piano books, locked the window up tight and ran back out, now late, to pick up the kids.
I am now in bed. The car doors are locked (even though it's parked in the garage). The house is locked up and every window has been checked. And I may or may not be sleeping with a bat.
I just remembered one time when he was out of town in the summer and it was so hot and I just couldn't bear to close and lock the window so I set an elaborate trap in front of the window so if someone tried to crawl in during the night, things would go tumbling down, make a lot of noise, wake me up, at which time I would leap from my bed, grab my big, heavy Mag Light and charge said intruder in my undies to knock him out with my weapon?!?! What the heck was I thinking?!? I'm pretty sure that wouldn't have ended happily.
And now it's time for some "InkJoy" love to forget all my scary thoughts and hopefully get some sleep.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Very entertaining. Why wouldn't you simply hide a key somewhere in the garage or back yard somewhere? Can't count the number of times we've been locked out and had to go into the back yard and retrieve our hidden house key, at least 2-3 times/year. Or you could go back to just watching conference talks and leave your doors unlocked. DSC
ok I am laughing so hard because to this day I can hear Jeff telling me to at least double check that all the doors and windows were locked (when you were out of town) every night!! You are so funny-- good thing you don't live in the ghetto with us :-)
Post a Comment